Final Project Process

For my final project I decided to do something similar to our postcard assignment earlier in the semester.

I spent some time trying to come up with ideas for what I wanted to do. I decided on something that included sports, but was more about the unrealistic aspect of life and the chances of it happening were slim. In thinking of my idea I went back and forth with various sports and themes I wanted to pursue. These thoughts all came to light when I put my double fisted thinking cap on. (2 hours spent)

FullSizeRender

(totally kidding about coming up with my ideas like this, but yay humor).

I then used a shutterfly account that my friends Godmother uses to upload her pictures. She is a photographer for the school and I asked her if it would be alright to use her photos for my project. I then spent at least an hour looking for different shots I wanted to use. Mostly looking for different moves and sports that fit in with the theme ideas I had already decided on. (1 hour spent).

Screen Shot 2015-04-28 at 11.30.49 AM

Next I got to work. I first spent some time reviewing the different tools I could use to illustrate my photos the way I had them imagined. Then I picked my first picture, lacrosse (lucky enough for Emily, it was time to get her back). I wanted the lacrosse theme to match its origin. Lacrosse originated from the Native Americans and I wanted to include a Native American in the picture, as well as the Tee Pee which didn’t go well with the other homes. I also found the scenery online, and made that my background picture. I realize lacrosse would never be played on ice, otherwise it’d be ice hockey. I then made the lacrosse ball corn on the cob to┬álet them enjoy the sport a little more. I also realized that there’s no way that an originator of the sport could get the privilege of playing with Emily. I made that the first unrealistic scene that I would depict. Below are pictures that show my progress with this picture. (3 hours spent)

My second picture was inspired by the views of rugby and one of my teammates. I decided to do it in an alley because why would rugby ever be played in an alley? I then thought of various things that are impossible to have in an alley, but also completely unrelated to rugby. Whenever my teammate Elyssa runs (fast as lightening) she makes the same face. The face that resembles fear, or intimidates the heck out of someone. I incorporated my version of a “nice monster” because if you’re gonna have a monster, when would he ever be nice? I added the rocket to the background because it made the scene more impossible and shows the route that all the other people took to escape the monster. Then there’s the cat, because Elyssa loves cats, but also because it’s confused by why all of this is happening in the alley that this kitty calls home. I had a lot of fun and difficulty with this picture. I had to find the best way to spread everything I wanted to include into the space of the scene along with blending the colors and deciding what should be black and white and what should be in color. (3 hours spent)

My final picture incorporated the swimming pictures that I found on the website. I really wanted to use one of the diving pictures and originally have him diving into lava, but that didn’t work out the way I planned so I switched it up. I always thought it would be interesting if people actually did activities off of roller coasters. I then added a diving board to the roller coaster, and turtles because that’s pretty unrealistic. My favorite aspect of this picture was the cloud background that overlaid the entire picture. This picture took a lot of time because I did work for the other theme and ended up changing it. (3 hours spent)

Lava-1